Admission for the MA Programme East Asian Economy and Society (EcoS)
Below please find all necessary information on admission for the MA programme East Asian Economy and Society (EcoS). The number of admitted students will be 30 persons per academic year (1 October - 30 September), starting in 2016/17. Previously, we admitted 25 students per academic year.
The information presented here gives you a thorough orientation on the admission process. Please feel free to also browse the For Students section on our homepage and to visit the EcoS Facebook Page for additional information. You are also cordially invited to join the EcoS Student Facebook Group (note: Facebook account required) to get in touch with fellow EcoS students, and to contact the EcoS student representatives in case of further questions.
Please note that for all procedural matters including approval of documents and previous degrees the Admission Office (Student Point) at the University of Vienna is in charge. Therefore please do not contact EcoS staff in case of purely procedural inquiries.
Application Period: 1 March - 30 April 2017
Application period for the Academic Year 2017/18 (incl. period for online pre-registration): 1 March - 30 April 2017.
For questions regarding tuition fees at the University of Vienna please refer to Student Point. The Chair of EcoS does not grant financial support for student fees and/or living costs in Vienna.
The selection procedure will be carried out in three stages:
- Proof of Bachelor degree or equivalent university/college degree acquired at an authorised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution. As an interdisciplinary programme, our students come from various academic backgrounds. Eligible majors thus include (but are not limited to) bachelor programmes in East Asian Studies (including Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Studies), Business Administration (Betriebswirtschaftslehre), International Business Administration (Internationale Betriebswirtschaftslehre), Economics (Volkswirtschaftslehre), Political Studies (Politikwissenschaft), History (Geschichte), Cultural Studies (Kulturwissenschaften) or Engineering (technische Wissenschaften).
For more information about eligible majors please refer to our FAQs.
- Proof of English language proficiency (see below).
- Assessment of a Letter of Motivation and Curriculum Vitae. This assessment is made by a selection committee appointed by the University of Vienna.
- Complete the online pre-registration for the programme at U:SPACE. Please note that the online pre-registration must be completed within the application period stated above.
- Please also upload your full application, including the application form and all required documents (see below), via U:SPACE during the application period stated above.
- The Admission Office will then check your application for completeness.
- Only complete applications will be forwarded to the selection committee.
- Proof of Qualification (original BA or BA-equivalent certificates)
If you graduate after 30 April, you can substitute your BA-equivalent certificate with an official letter from your Directorate of Study stating that you indeed are set to graduate before 30 September. Please understand that an admission without a BA-equivalent certificate will be considered conditional until you provide your proof of qualification. In case you fail to do so by 30 September, your admission will be revoked.
- Diploma Supplement, Transcript of Academic Records or Consolidated Grade Record
- Copy of your passport or identity card
- Proof of English proficiency (see below)
- Letter of Motivation in accordance with our questionnaire (in English, see below)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
For details concerning the potentially necessary translation, legislation or
notarisation of documents please refer to the information provided by the Admission Office of the University of Vienna [link].
Proof of English Proficiency
as per university decree no. 41 §1 (16.12.2016)
Applicants need to show proof of sufficient command of English level B2 of the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR). This can be attained by showing proof of either:
- Proof of English as first language or completion of an English-language study programme (BA-equivalent)
- TOEFL: Ibt (internet-based): min. 87 points
- IELTS: Overall Band Score: 6.5
- Cambridge English First Certificate (FCE): at least Grade C (min. 160 points)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): Level B2
- Language Center of the University of Vienna (Sprachenzentrum der Universität Wien): Language Competency Test Level B2 (Sprachkompetenznachweis Englisch B2)
- Successfully passed subject "English" in school leaving examination (Maturazeugnis)
The document proving the applicant's English proficiency must be issued no more than three years prior to the application, with the exception of number 7 which does not expire.
Letter of Motivation
Applicants are asked to write a letter of motivation based on a questionnaire preferably not exceeding 5-6 pages. Please find the current questionnaire here and answer all questions separately one by one.
Notification of Candidates & Further Procedure
After closure of the admission period, the admission process might take ten to twelve weeks. (In 2015, though, applicants were already informed in early June about the outcome.) During this time no information on the status of your application can be given.
Once accepted, successful candidates will be required to finalise their admission in person at the Admission Office before the start of classes. In theory, personal enrolment for the winter semester is possible until November 30; for the summer semester until April 30. However EcoS classes start in the first week of October and March respectively. Since you are not able to register for classes unless your enrollment in person has been finalised before, please make sure to complete your admission until mid-September (or mid-February for summer semester) in order to successfully register for your individual classes in time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Contact
Please find a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the programme and the application procedure here.
Please understand that the staff of East Asian Economy and Society (EcoS) is not in a position to answer questions regarding the admission and selection process. For procedural questions please check the information provided by the Admission Office (Student Point) at the University of Vienna. For all other queries and issues, please contact us at ecos [at] univie.ac.at.
To connect with other EcoS students, as well as with the EcoS student representatives, share and read about experience with the application process, studying in Vienna, etc. please feel free to join the EcoS Student Facebook Group.