Admission for MA Programme East Asian Economy and Society (EcoS)
Below please find all necessary information on admission for the MA programme East Asian Economy and Society (EcoS). The number of admitted students will be 30 persons per academic year, starting in 2016/17. Previously, we admitted 25 students per academic year.
The information presented here gives you a first orientation. Please feel free to also browse the For Students section on our homepage and to visit the EcoS Facebook Page for additional information. You are also cordially invited to join the EcoS Student Facebook Group (note: Facebook account required) to get in touch with fellow EcoS students, and to contact the EcoS student representatives in case of further questions.
Application period for the Academic Year 2017/18 (incl. period for online pre-registration): 1 March - 30 April 2017. Please come back in early 2017 for updated information on the application process. Below information from 2016 is only a reference.
For questions regarding the tuition fees at the University of Vienna please refer to the Student Point.
The selection procedure will be carried out in three stages:
- Examination of Bachelor degree or an equivalent university or college degree in an eligible major acquired at an authorised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution. Among eligible majors are bachelor programmes in Japanese Studies, Korean Studies, Chinese Studies, Business Administration (Ger. Betriebswirtschaftslehre), International Business Administration (Ger. Internationale Betriebswirtschaftslehre), Economics (Ger. Volkswirtschaftslehre) and Political Studies (Ger. Politikwissenschaft), as offered by the University of Vienna. Given the completed major is equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or if only a few additions are missing in order to attain complete equivalence, additional courses and examinations totaling to 30 ECTS credits may be required.
For more information about eligible majors please refer to our FAQs.
- Examination of English language proficiency. (see below)
- Assessment of a Letter of Motivation and Curriculum Vitae. This assessment is made by a selection committee appointed by the University of Vienna.
- Complete the online pre-registration for the programme (https://uspace.univie.ac.at/web/gast/home). Please note that the online pre-registration must be completed within the period of 1 March - 30 April 2016.
- Please also lodge your application, including the application form and all required documents (see below), via U:SPACE.
- The Admission Office will then check your application for completeness.
- Complete applications will be transfered to the selection committee at EcoS.
Please address all procedural questions regarding the application procedure directly to the Admission Office at the University of Vienna.
- Proof of Qualification (original BA or BA-equivalent certificates)
- Diploma Supplement, Transcript of Academic Records or Consolidated Grade Record (notarized copy)
- Copy of your passport or identity card
- Proof of English proficiency (see below)
- Letter of Motivation in accordance with our questionnaire (in English, see below)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
For details concerning the potentially necessary translation, legislation or
notarisation of documents please refer to our FAQs.
Proof of English Proficiency
Applicants need to show proof of sufficient command of English level B2 of the Common European Framework of References for Languages. This can be attained by showing proof of either:
- Completion of an English-language study programme (BA-equivalent)
- TOEFL: Ibt (internet-based): min. 87 points
- IELTS: Overall Band Score: 6.5
- Cambridge English First Certificate (FCE): at least Grade C (min. 160 points)
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): Level B2
- Sprachenzentrum der Universität Wien/Language Center of the University of Vienna: Placement Test Level B2
- Successfully taken subject English in school leaving examination (“Maturazeugnis”)
The document proving the applicant's English proficiency must be issued no more than three years prior to the application (2013 or after), with the excemption of 7.
Letter of Motivation
Applicants are asked to write a letter of motivation based on a questionnaire not extending 5-6 pages. Please find the questionnaire for 2016 here and answer the questions one by one.
Notification of Candidates & Further Procedure
The admission process might take ten to twelve weeks. Therefore, please do not expect any notice before end of July 2016.
Successful candidates will be required to finalize their admission procedure in person at the Admission Office. In theory, enrollment for the winter semester 2016/17 is possible until November 30, 2016; for the summer semester 2017 until April 30th, 2017. However please make sure to complete your admission process until Mid-September 2016 (or Mid-February 2017 for summer semester) in order to successfully register your individual classes in time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Contact
Please find a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the programme and the application procedure here.
Please understand that the staff of East Asian Economy and Society is not in a position to answer questions regarding the admission and selection process. For all other queries and issues, please contact us at ecos [at] univie.ac.at.
To connect with other EcoS students, as well as with the EcoS student representatives, share and read about experience with the application process, studying in Vienna, etc. please feel free to join the EcoS Student Facebook Group.