Student Residence Permit in Austria

Note that the information in this website is not official. Please refer to the official Austrian authorities’ websites (Austrian GovernmentImmigration Office) for the up-to-date application process.

Next to applying to our program in a timely manner, non-EU/EEA citizens must apply for a student resident permit. This is a mandatory requirement to live and study in Austria for periods longer than six months. We strongly encourage you to look at the requirements for this application, even before you receive your admission notification from the University of Vienna, because many of the required documents must be officially translated, legalized and/or notarized.

Where to apply?

The Magistratabteilung 35 (MA 35) is the immigration office in Austria. They will be in charge of processing your application to obtain a student resident permit (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Student").

Depending on your country of origin, you will A) have to apply for this permit at an Austrian Embassy, or B) be able to travel to Vienna and apply directly at the MA35 upon arrival, and before the end of your legal stay. Typically, only nationals from countries with a visa-free entry to Austria are part of group B. Please, make sure to know how do you have to apply in the following link (in German).

Regardless of your country of origin, if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen, make sure to have all your documents ready before travelling to Austria. You will need to present them at the MA35 office even if you have initially applied at an Austrian Embassy.

If you can apply upon arrival in Vienna, make sure to do this as early as possible. The application process is lengthy, the MA35 may require additional documents, resulting in a even longer waiting period. Failing to comply with these requirements could result in a denial of your residence permit and you will need to return to your country of origin to re-apply again.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to covid-19 restrictions, the official authorities (Austrian Embassies abroad and MA35 in Vienna) require previous appointments and due to high demand, this can take much longer. Students should therefore request an appointment as early as possible.